View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #30
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
People are saying I'm overreacting, but they haven't said how. Frankly, I haven't seen anyone actually summarize my objections accurately. I can tell you're trying here, and that you don't have a bone to pick, but this is different from a CTR ring. DB is selling it as the ring JS wore to his martyrdom, as a ring that was handed down among family, and at the same time, the Church discourages members from wearing crosses.

On the one hand someone could dismiss it as cheesy, but s/he would be ignoring the very real reasons for buying the thing in the first place. Will most people buy this to be cheesy? No. They'll buy it and wear it and be dead serious.

Just imagine, for a moment, someone noticing that ring and asking about it. The wearer explains that it's a replica of a ring that Joseph Smith wore. This will freak some people out, especially those who note that Mormons don't sport the usual Christian symbols. A reasonable person could think the whole thing bizarre without any malice or ill intent for Mormons.

This product has "bad idea" written all over it.
Bad idea? Probably. Cheesy? Absolutely.

Worth noticing or acknowledging? Probably not.

I don't know that anybody disagrees with your objection, but rather to the degree with which you find it objectionable. It's a lot less about "who's right" than it is about "who cares."

I do think it is poor marketing. If they highlighted the fact that a similar ring was used to teach the nature of eternity, such a thing would have all the more significance. As an emblem of the martyrdom, you bet-- kind of creepy. It does have that dark-ages iconic feel to it. I just don't know that it is worth putting on your iconoclastic hat to take on this particular demon.