View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #26
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Probably so, but I think I am correct in asserting less than one in one hundred instances of drunk driving results in an accident. In fact, that is probably an incredibly conservative statement.

How many who drink become alcoholics? No idea, just throwing numbers out. But anecdotally (and that was the point, describing the experience through the eyes of the drinker) I know probably a hundred or more people who drink and only one of them I know to be an alcoholic. I'm not trying to convince anyone there aren't negative affects, I'm just saying that where as the mormon non-drinking world imagines (I believe) that these negative things happen instantaneously to everyone, drinkers know that most of the time they don't. I'm not saying, again, that the benefits outwiegh the risks. Just trying to answer the question of why anyone would drink in light of the dangers. Because the dangers don't happen as often as we might think, or at least not enough to bother your average drinker.
I would say less than 1% of people who drink become alcoholics. Then there are all those studies saying the occasional drink is good for you.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote