View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Here is my point on the Alex Jensen v. Cummard comparison

I think Jensen was the better player as sophomore. I also think that Jensen's stats severely suffered as a sophomore, because he was very out of shape from his mission (something that Cummard is not dealing with) and he simply was not needed to score or rebound that much on that team. The scoring was handled by Andre Miller, Doleac, and Mottola. Even Drew Hansen was more important offensively.

Where Jensen wins this battle is in defense. Utah was simply the better defensive team, and IMO it was largely a great defensive team because of Jensen.

In addition you cannot separate team results from all this comparison. Jensen was the key lock down defender in the Utes victories against UNC and Arizona. If you want Ute players in order of importance to the 1998 NCAA Championship game run it goes: Andre Miller, Alex Jensen, and Mike Doleac.

I'll have to trust you when it comes to Jensen's defense because I don't remember him well. I remember him as being a little slow to defend on the perimeter. He also played with a lot of tall guys behind him, and nobody in that time period could touch Utah's inside D.

Cummard has been labeled the premier perimeter defender in the MWC by an opposing coach. Cummard blows Jensen away in steals and blocks. Unless you can provide some more compelling evidence, I'm gonna have to believe at best it's sixes when you compare the two defensively--especially as soph's.

I always thought Majerus' comment on Jensen being the best defender he ever had as just a nice compliment to a hard-nosed role player type kid who Majerus really liked. I don't think most people took it seriously, including Ute fans. Am I right on that?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote