View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #58
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Precisely my point. Nobody respects Bush anymore. You won't see anyone trying to ge ino his skin this election as Bush Sr. did Reagan for example.
A lot of people still respect Bush (just nobody I hang out with ). If you want to be elected president of the United States, you had better be religious in today's environment. Take a look at any poll you want to that has asked that question. Would Americans vote for an atheist or someone who states they don't have much faith? The polls universally say they would not. Americans WOULD vote for someone who brings up religion with regularity, as they have done MANY times in the nation's history (GWB being the most recent).

Romney's "religiousness" is only a factor right now because few know much about his religion. He doesn't raise the issue much on his own, in fact, he tries to avoid the issue as much as possible (noting that there should be "no religious qualifications for office"). But he CANNOT win the primary unless he convinces people he believes in Christ. I think it is reprehensible that such is the case, but I have no doubt that it is true. So he will tell people his particular brand of belief isn't important while telling them that his more broadly acceptable beliefs (like a belief in Christ) are fundamental to his life.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote