View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #60
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I agree. When I got married, by nonmember FiL made me promise that I would not take another wife. He was also surprised when he met my parents that they weren't dressed up and act like Colorado City polygamists ("Wow, they're just like normal people."). A lot of ignorance out there and Romney's candidacy helps to clear those things up and bring Mormonism further into the mainstream of American life. Sure, some stuff that gets exposed will be strange, but strange quickly becomes oddly interesting, and maybe even quaint upon exposure. The shock value dissipates.

I'm not saying everyone will think favorably of Mormons, I just think they will respond less negatively. The great equalizer for all of us is first hand experience. Romney's candidacy gives more Americans a chance for that.
I agree with the sentiments of this in principle. However, in the poll I see that in the West the negatives on Mormons are 47%. It strains credulity to believe that most Westerners are not at least somewhat familiar with Mormons. We make up 5% of Westerners as it is.

So I see stats that do not fit what I would have thought to be the case. Do you have any ideas why this would be the case?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote