View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
When I was a kid my friend's family had a sort of boutique dairy operation (just a few cows) and the dairy barn was plagued with big rats. Every time we would try to chase them they would disappear under a wall. One day while we were doing this my friends little brother happened to be in the tack room on the other side of the wall and saw them come pouring out of a hole on that side when we had chased them out of the dairy area. This gave us a bright idea. We took some 1x4s and hammered 3" nails through one end so we had a sort of spiked club. Then my friend and I stationed ourselves in the tack room and waited while little brother and friends chased the suckers out of the dairy area. The rats came prancing through the tack room hole to be met with our spikes of doom. It was very, very messy, but oddly satisfying, even though we didn't get them all. We tried this again a couple of times, but it only worked once.

To tell you the truth, my memories of the whole affair are a little hazy, except for the visceral feel of club meeting rodent. These are the sorts of things city kids miss out on altogether.
I LOVE rat stories. My favorite is my wife's, actually. When on break from college she served drinks at this little greasy spoon by the sea. Once she scared a rat out in the kitchen, it ran over a broad hot grill, its feet sizzling, and then leapt over the boiling deep fat fryer and escaped.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote