View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Duty to God. It's eventually going to happen that way anyway. Scouting programs in other countries are often non-existent or are significantly different than traditional scouting in the U.S./Canda. Over half of the membership of the Church is outside the U.S. The traditional Mormon-style Scouting in the U.S. is dying a slow death and is generally non-existent in the Church outside of North America. I, for one, will only be too happy to see it go (when I say "see it go" I'm referring to the way traditional Mormon scouting has been operated in the U.S.A - not to the B.S.A in general).

Cue all the responses about how great Scouting is and what wonderful experiences were had in Scouts and how it's a shame that Scouting isn't supported like it used to be, etc.... I have no problem with Scouting in general or when the Scout program is properly implemented in an LDS unit. I'm not opposed at all to wards/stakes sponsoring Scout troops. I am oppposed to the traditional method of every ward having their own troop regardless of the lack of boys, lack of leadership, or lack of interest. I am opposed to Scouting being the default YM program in the U.S. It should be used in addition to Duty to God where interest and leadership indicates it would be a good fit but, in my opinion, Duty to God should be the default.

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 03-07-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typos
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote