Thread: Rumor mill...
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Favoring effort is better in the long run

If he stays true to his convictions. The players will come to recognize his consistency and honesty. They will respect that and react positively to it. It takes time to change attitudes.

However, I find much of what Rachel says as troubling. I agree that the best approach is the best athletes we can accomplish all trained to the best of their ability.

I think Bronco is endeavoring to imbue an attitude on the program about effort. The best players giving their all are better than the best players only giving 90%. Part of what she writes could be, from a homer perspective, that right now Bronco is more concerned with facilitating an attitude over developing individual skills. When he feels that the attitude is consistent perhaps then he can focus moreson on individual skills.

I am not a staunch advocate of the 3-3-5 "system." However, there was nothing about this years defense that is the evidence of my issues. This defense would have sucked hind tiddy no matter what the system was. The personel was that bad. I think the transfer of Mike Marquardt is more of an indictment of the 3-3-5 than the piss poor performance, in that I believe Mike transferred because he feels the system is not a good fit for rush DEs. I don't like Rachel's negative tone about Bronco either. She is fairly level headed and I believe for her to be that jaded toward the dude she is probably hearing some grumblings from two parties. That is a point of concern, IMO.

I don't advocate the 3-3-5 because kids want to play in a style that will showcase their NFL skills in systems the NFL will use. The advantages of the 3-3-5 are somewhat negated by BYU's consistent inability to recruit and keep the db playmakers that offers competitive advantages. I also think there is legitimacy to the notion that BYU's best defensive players, based upon its recruiting base demographics, are consistently going to be LBs and DL.

Regardless it is Bronco's program and I believe that the expectations of the fanbase and administration are not commensurrate to the supporting environment. I have made peace with the reality that going to a Bowl Game is a good year for BYU football and I don't expect a heck of a whole lot more. Regardless of my expectations, it will not pacify the natives and Bronco will likely not make it past year 5 or 6, but I doubt I will be one calling for changes again. The biggest mistake he made was accepting the job.