View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Bronco--cougjunkie's post

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=2588289

Cougjunkie upset a few people with this post. I agree but also disagree.

What I don't give Bronco any credit for:

1. Winning with a senior Beck, Brown, Harline (anyone could have done it)
2. Hiring a good offensive coordinator (Anae was not Bronco's choice, he was forced to hire him)
3. Winning the "right" way, i.e program is more spiritual (don't believe it, I think it's mostly all talk and the part that's not all talk, any decent coach would have come in and fixed anyway)
4. Improved organization, attitude, discipline, focus, etc. other intangibles. (I think these are generally a result of winning not the cause of winning. Lose a few games and the wheels usually come off: you have accusations of undiscipline, quitting, disunity, etc. Win a few games and the opposite.)
5. Bowl season his first year. (That team didn't improve much at all on Crowton's last season though they had more experience--only difference was schedule got easier)

What I do give Bronco credit for:

1. Making key defensive changes in 2006, i.e. 3-4, less blitzing, Hill hire. 2006 defense was stellar and came out of nowhere. That was huge.
2. Developing a BYU offense that is different than TT offense and incorporates more of the TE pass and the running game. Anae wanted to go straight TT offense. But the offense evolved that first season, and now looks more like a Chow offense than a TT offense. I credit Reynolds and Bronco for that.
3. Great recruiting class this year. Includes most of the great LDS recruits but also some non-LDS including two black non-LDS high school corners. A rare find for BYU.
4. Recent comments that he plans to go more conservative this year and rely more on the running game.
5. His coaching hires are getting better as he learns what he wants in a staff.
6. Dumbed down his over-the-top spirit/church talk and changed his approach to recruiting non-LDS.

What I blame Bronco for:

1. Worse D in 2005 than we should have had given the talent, resulting in underachieving as a team.
2. Mediocre to bad recruiting classes his first two years.
3. Marginal coaching hires his first year.
4. Over-the-top language tying the church and spirit to his football team which includes and targets in recruiting less active LDS and non-LDS.

The good thing is that all four of the blame for Bronco items have since turned into credit items as he's adjusted.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote