View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 02:20 AM   #62
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This sounds awefully pedantic and paternalistic. I see the protection aspect as extending to wife and children, not to women in general. In fact, if I were to voice that my duty as a priesthood holder is protect women, I'd be laughed into the ground. We're adults. If one party consents with another to have sex, we're both to share in the responsibility.
Pedantic or not, it is the way I feel the women of the church are treated by the Priesthood--like they are supposed to be protected by them. Sometimes this "protection" seems chivalrous, other times it seems annoying or even controlling.

I don't think we completely disagree on this issue. My original post was merely intended to counter Rocky's whining, but somehow I mixed myself up in a debate for which I, thankfully, have no firsthand experience. I am fine with woman offenders being treated like their Priesthood counterparts. I know this will probably sound a little wishy washy, but, as long as men hold the governing power in the church, I am also fine with women receiving a milder rebuke for the same offense.