View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I'm with tooblue on this one. There is not a stake choir anywhere that is remotely comparable to MoTab. That's just hyperbole from Mike.

That's not saying that some variety wouldn't be nice. But the choir is very good at the type of music they do (LDS hymns).
This is along the lines of my opinion. Motab is not a professional choir, with the equivalent of voice majors in the seats. More along the lines of enthusiastic amateurs. Even Snipe, who apparently has a choral experience, says before this current conductor took over, the choir was in disrepair, and that they still have a ways to go.

Quote:
Eileen Farrell does a fair job with I know that my redeemer liveth. And the Mormon Tabernacle Choir has this going for it: they do sound like a good amateur choir, rather than a professional choir, which is (to me) a plus, since Messiah choruses have the feel of participation numbers rather than things you sit back and listen to.
http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Messiah...5610930&sr=1-2

When people don't stop and start at the same time, that's a huge annoyance. And it's the product of an amateur choir not practicing often and having to learn a large volume of music in a short time.

And the Provo ward with the Staehlis and Robinsons, those singers are better than your average Motab singer. I know, because I have attended.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote