View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
As I close in on a milestone 10th post, I solicit the board's counsel on the use of the term "jungle ball." I've used that term sparingly, but consistently, since high school to describe a highly disorganized, fast-paced and decidedly not-team-oriented approach to the game. It was not intended to be a racial reference, but merely a description of the feral nature of our style, such as it was. We started using the term in high school, an era which followed (albeit not by much) the retirement of the peach basket; spare me the ageist slander.

Anyway, is the term now regarded as racist? Is there even a point to asking the question of an audience comprised predominantly of melanin-free middle-aged males? Despite your suspect credentials, if you so advise, I'll retire the term from my limited inventory.
Well, mighty prolific poster that you are, Peach Basket must be related to its German sister in describing Basketball, Korbball. I remember when we were derided for using that term in Germany, proud to use an authentic German word which much like EDV had fallen into disuse.