View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 AM   #27
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I knew nothing about Mormons when I watched Thor Hydahl's reed boat traverse the ocean. That was fascinating to me. Although Thor did not prove the Eygyptian crossed the ocean, he showed it could have been done by boats of that genre.
For many years Hyerdahl was a sort of an LDS demigod. Apparently he still is, to Indy. Here's what at least Wikipedia says about his legacy:

"Owing to poor scholarship, coupled to a lack of scientific methodology in his undertakings, much of Heyerdahl's life work is controversial. Serious scholars see a lack of necessary caution in Heyerdahl's conclusions and theories, as well as contempt for previous, less sensational, scholarly work on the same issues. Therefore he is not considered a serious scientist, but an adventurer in intellectual circles worldwide.

"Nevertheless, on the positive side, it can be said that Heyerdahl's books served to inspire several generations of readers. He introduced young people to the arid fields of archaeology and ethnology by making them attractive through his colorful adventures. This Norwegian adventurer often broke the bounds of conventional thinking and was unapologetic for doing so. 'Boundaries?', he is quoted as asking, 'I have never seen one but I hear that they exist in the minds of most people.'"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Heyerdahl

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote