View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #50
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Was the church "true" when they denied the blacks the priesthood? I would submit that it wasn't true if you are black. That leads me to another one of my beliefs that most people will disagree with me on. To me, religion is like a fraternity at a school. You may have different practices, but the end desire is to graduate. I like to think God will accept anyone of any religion that earnestly desires to "go to heaven" and acts accordingly. It seems silly to me that he would care where you were baptized, who baptized you, or whether you got married in a temple rather than a cathedral. Rituals seem so unimportant in my view. I don't mean that as an insult to anyone who believes otherwise. I'm just expressing my point of view.
This is appears to be a simplistic view of life, but if it rests well with you, that's fine.

A more empirical view would be to sythesize what historically religions have taught, analyze what scholars believe and observe, employ various methodology to discover whether God exists and communicates. If he didn't exist, it wouldn't matter what we did.

If he does, then we should follow a method of discovering truth.

Many, many religious societies engage rituals for teaching truths, so either societies have had it wrong all along, or maybe, just maybe they are significant. To dismiss them out of hand, sure seems sloppy.

It's basically saying, well nothing really matters, God will accept everything.