View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 01:26 AM   #148
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I'm interested in knowing those, like Mex and Indy, who believe their might have been a celestial reason behind the priesthood ban, think about Elijah Abel?

I think I need Tex to straighten me out, here's a rough timeline, based on memory and not at all comprehensive:

1832?: Elijah Abel given the priesthood

1836: Elijah Abel made a 70

1842: Elijah Abel serves first mission

1844: Joseph Smith runs for President, wants abolition

1853: Denied endowment by Brigham Young

So without gettting quotes by Joseph Smith that talked of equality between blacks and whites, which for the time highly progressive and almost extremist, what happened in God's policy from 1832 when Elijah was baptized and 1853 when he was denied endowment rights by Brigham Young?

Did the Lord under Joseph Smith think it was kosher for blacks to be priesthood holders and 20 years later reminded Brigham that certain restrictions should be applied, or certain peoples were not ready for the priesthood?
Heh ... a "celestial reason" ... too funny.

The only thing I've really advocated here is not to factor God out of the discussion. We've all been talking like Brigham Young, etc. were a bunch of nasty, evil racists, and the God of Heaven just threw his hands up and said, "Can't do much with these bozos ... we'll just have to wait for Spencer!"

God could've changed the policy if God "wanted" to. Why didn't he? Who knows ... couldn't tell you. I'm not him. But I don't believe every prophet from Smith to Lee went "renegade" on the issue. Moreover (and more importantly), I don't think we should be suggesting such to new investigators and members whose testimonies can be quite fragile.

To believe otherwise is really to deny the prophetic call.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote