View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 AM   #153
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
And Brigham Young was wrong. You won't find anyone, except for maybe Tex and Grapevine who believe otherwise. Your point was, I think, that the prophet has indeed led the church astray. Woodruff's statement doesn't mean a prophet will never make an error. It means that a prophet's errors will never lead the church as a whole down a path away from Christ from which Christ will not pull us back.

That Joseph Smith example is just silly.
The Joseph Smith example was meant to be silly/outrageous. However, your reasoning that the church was not led astray because:

1. No blacks really suffered until the last 20 or so years

2. Nobody's salvation was jeapordized (you couldn't know this)

3. The church was not taught that blacks were inferior (I think ample evidence to the contrary has been presented)

This just doesn't hold up (as my stupid Joseph Smith example tried to demonstrate). The church was led astray because generations of Mormons lived and died believing a particualry un-Christlike doctrine. Who knows what bigotry was entertained because of this teaching. All of the Mormons who lived after Joseph and before Spencer were deceived and thus led astray.

Thank goodness you live now with the right concept of race.

But it begs the question if that one was wrong and left to fester for over a century what current teaching is next? The word of wisdom?

Last edited by Taq Man; 05-04-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote