View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default As to Fusnik's inquiry

First, there is simply no substitute for time in the saddle. My wife is in great aerobic shape but before we ride centuries she always has to haveat least a few rides in the weeks before to build her, ahem, 'taint' endurance. This is true for everyone. It cannot be avoided.

Second, you must find a saddle that fits YOU. Narrow seats may be the naswer, although I think it depends a lot on what type of riding you are going to do and on your particulr bone structure.

On my touring frame I use a Brooks B17 which is wider than most racing saddles but narrower than most womnen's saddles. It is suspended hard leather (no padding) and it is, hands down, the most comfrtable saddle I have. If you are going to be in the saddle for hours at a time for days in a row, I strongly encourage you to look at the various Brooks models.

If you are going to race or at least ride like you are training to race, then a narrow saddle might do the trick. Go to a place like Perfromance Bike, which will let you buy a saddle, try it out and then exhcnage it for another one (paying only the price differnce), repeatedly, untill you find one you like.

Everybody is different. Saddle choice is as personal as underwear choice (perhaps a bad example on this forum). Try out different ones until you are happy.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote