Old 01-17-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I've heard 2 different thoughts on this one:

1) That there are very few eligible candidates. It requires a sure knowledge that very few obtain. You know, the ol' "you can count on both hands the number of eligible people" routine. This is the explanation I prefer.

2) The turning completely from the Melchizedek Priesthood condemnation. In the oath and covenant we read that "whoso breaketh this covenant after he hath received it, and altogether turneth therefrom, shall not have forgiveness of sins in this world nor in the world to come." I believe that this exact phrasing is used in the NT to describe the sin against the Holy Ghost. I guess what is important in this line of thinking is what exactly constitutes "turn[ing] altogether therefrom." If this were all that was required to commit the unpardonable sin, then one can imgaine there being a whole host of candidates.
I think you can reconcile both. It's not either or. My personal belief is that to break the oath would be to have an absolute understanding of the priesthood power and from where that power is derived. With that knowledge there are certain keys one must possess in order to qualify as well. Essentially one must have his calling and election made sure to become such is my opinion. That is part of receiving the covenant. Being ordained into the Melchezidek priesthood isn't the same as entering into this covenant. Just like being baptized doesn't quite mean that you take upon yourself the name of Christ. That doesn't happen until you make that covenants in the temple.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote