View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Woman can't hold the priesthood. Is God sexist?

Lamanites were cursed with a dark skin because of their wickedness and some of them had the cursing removed when they repented. Is God racist?

God didn't want the Gospel preached to the Gentiles for a long period of time. Is God racist?
First off, race is a man-made construct. It would be odd if God adopted this man-made construct as an eternal principle.

Men and women aren't equal. Women can have babies, men cannot, for starters.

But I doubt you would argue that a black man is unequal to a white man. In fact, you would have a hard time even defining what a black man is. Which is part of what made the ban so ridiculous. Who is black? The one drop rule? What happens when you do your geneaology and discover that 4 generations back there was a black ancestor?

My personal belief is that no person in the BoM magically had their skin color change. It was metaphor, or represented a natural process--like intermarrying with indigenous peoples with darker skin.

The whole preaching to the gentiles thing--it's interesting that it did not even take one generation after Christ to start preaching to the gentiles. Do we have any record of a prophet praying to include blacks, but being denied?

I think we have some record of DOM approaching the subject but feeling it was not time. The reason being, in my mind, disharmony in the quorum.

If we are to believe this policy was of God, how do we say that, but at the same time argue that all the statements made by the prophets that justified it were wrong? This is ludicrous.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote