View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
It's a Greatland?! I was just wasting time on my lunch break and saw this 7-8 man tent and thought it would fit the HUGE air matress I bought at Cabela's over the weekend. I bought the tent because it has a cool enclosed porch area and a pretty big 1-2 room enclosed portion (I guess it has a divider making it 2 rooms). After I got back to work, I started reading the reviews on it (Yes, I know I'm doing the research and purchase thing backwards). Some said it was a VERY good tent, loved all the room and storage area, the ability to stand up and get dressed, etc. etc. Others said that it can't hold out any rain period. Some said they sealed the seams and waterproofed the fly and they still got wet.

So here's my question, I only paid less than $130 after tax. My wife will NOT camp in rain (she will make me give her a 100% no rain guarantee), and we'll most likely only camp over night. So given that there's not going to be a lot of wear and tear on the tent, no rain, etc. Is it worth just keeping the tent or should I take it back and shell out the extra flow for a higher quality tent?

We have a couple of different tents. One of them is a Greatland family size. We use it all the time. It is greta for car cmaping in non-rainy weather. It does not keep out the rain very well at all. If you are cmaping somewhere and it starts to rain, simply pack up and leave. That is what we have done as my wife, likje yours, refuses to camp in the rain. (Once at Yosemite it started to rain hard and I went outside with my shovel to trench around the tent and do a little site improvement. when I came back in everything in the tent was packed up and ready to load. My wife does not mess around.)

We also have an REI tent, which is supposed to fit 6 people but, as it turns out, this is only true if the 6 people are rain forest pygmies. It is very good at keeping bad weather out, however. It also cost more than twice as much.