View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Exactly. I think the reason this thread is being largely ignored is it demonstrates the absurdity of the very concept a "great apostasy." It's like saying it's a bad thing that your parents ever met one another, that you'd have been better off in some alternate universe.
What aspects were absurd?

Are you stating the LDS belief in the termination of the Twelve Apostles, together with a failure to reconstitute the Quorum is a misnomer?

The LDS concept of the Apostleship being lost is all but admitted but most of Christianity. The Roman Catholic Church doesn't even contest it, because none of the offices are "apostles", but rather bishops and cardinals.

I'm rusty on my Catholic Church history and will change that, but what aspects of apostasy were absurd?

To me, it's miracle, given the difficulty in teaching a broadbase of cultures, and the difficulty in diffusing teachings as much was preserved in terms of teachings. Only through modern transportation, recordings and communications is it possible for teachings to remain the same. Just the process of "copying" codices rendered the possibility of error very likely and common.

What exactly is your point? If I read Talmage's "Great Apostasy", I no longer remember its contents.