View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #40
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
As to the swearing issue, while your humanist rationale is fine, I am not sure I understand the need to teach him the swear words first. When he hits puberty how are you going to teach him about prudent sexual practices while eliminating the 'taboo?'
Regarding sex: simple. Sensitivity and self preservation. I will teach him to never have sex with a girl or boy unless he is sure of all of the following:

1. The other person has a genuine understanding of what the sex act means for all people involved (sensitivity and kindness).

2. As long as the other person lives at home, he is absolutely sure he can kick the crap out of the father, the mother, any brothers/sisters, and any combination of those people (self preservation).

3. He will be aware of safe sex practices. He will have definitely put a condom onto a banana before he hits puberty (self preservation).

Outside of a sensible and sensitive approach to sex, I have no problem with having a sexually active child.
Methinks that you may not have consulted with your wife on this one yet.

If I recall correctly, she is an active member of the LDS church, and as such may not share some of your same "philosophies" on childrearing.

Or does that not matter to you? Whats right for you is right for your son?

I agree with what has been said about teaching a child the principle behind the practice, but where is the principle behind this statement? Makes no sense to me.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote