View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #39
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Right but that it is not "proveable" doen't mena there is by definition no evidence, does it?
It is an interesting question.

Is there actually evidence that there is no God? I would argue there isn't.

The fact that nobody has a picture of God is not necessarily evidence that there isn't a God. It could be evidence that you can't take a picture of God, or that camera's don't work in God's presence, or that God isn't visible, or that nobody could see God and live (thereby making the ability of a person to take a picture impossible), or any number of other possibilities.

Of course, it would depend on what your definition of "evidence" is. In the legal sense, the absence of a picture of God is evidence of nothing. Only the presence of a picture of God would be evidence (that God DOES exist). In the generally understood sense (referring to a dictionary), I don't think there is evidence either.

1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
2. something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign: His flushed look was visible evidence of his fever.
3. Law. data presented to a court or jury in proof of the facts in issue and which may include the testimony of witnesses, records, documents, or objects.
–verb (used with object) 4. to make evident or clear; show clearly; manifest: He evidenced his approval by promising his full support.
5. to support by evidence: He evidenced his accusation with incriminating letters.
—Idiom6. in evidence, plainly visible; conspicuous: The first signs of spring are in evidence.

There is nothing that I am aware of that would tend to disprove the existence of God (or prove God's non-existence).

I accept BG's statement that it isn't really practical to tell someone else what they believe, and I am not trying to tell SU what he believes or doesn't believe. I am saying that what SU is describing is not the standard understanding of "atheism."

Last edited by Cali Coug; 05-23-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote