View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #38
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Trixter's first album was released in 1990. That's too late in my book.

The other two, White Lion and Stryper, were inadvertantly left off. I remember looking through my friends brothers tapes and coming across Stryper's "To Hell with the Devil." My 4th Grade mind was excited about the possibilities of convincing my parents that heavy metal can be just like church music. I wasn't able to make an effective argument and I was relegated to listening to sissy bands like Bon Jovi.

I also forgot Great White. Their song "Once Bitten Twice Shy" lays out a great template for a hair band song. A lot of sexual innuendo, the use of the terms "baby" and "little girl", a catchy chorus, reference to both a drummer getting action and a girls' sister being a slut, as well as a big crescendo where the singer is exasperated.
I am glad that you support the inclusion of Great White and Stryper into the canon. Hair metal intellectuals such as yourself always lend such astute perspective by setting forth such clear dividing lines as the pre 1990 debut album. Is there room for an exception in the case of Ugly Kid Joe (who I believe deserves special consideration for career arc and brevity, along with the content of it's two hits being based on a remake, and a lazy 12 year old having a bad day anthem). I find 1990 to be a little to bright a line. I prefer to draw the line at pre-Smells Like Teen Spirit, which permanently destroyed hair metal credentials.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote