View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #19
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it very interesting to read the responses to this topic in particular. Because, IMO, it really is a topic that has a number of branches we can go off to.

Specifically, I find it interesting that we're talking about intentions, reverence towards God, "it's what's inside that counts...not outside etc..."

Someone jokingly said that he would not wear a tie to church so that he could avoid a EQ or higher calling. While I understand he was joking, I find it interesting that the only thing we're worried about here is shirt color...not wheather we should wear a collard shirt at all, or why can't we wear Jeans to church like others, or a discussion on nice ties vs. Disney ties etc...but simply, color of shirt.

IF we are truly only concerned about shirt color as a means of proving that it's what is in our hearts that count, then, why not show up to church in a T-Shirt and Jeans? If God loves us all the same and knows our hearts, then what would be the problem?

If you say reverence and respect to God, I'd ask where that doctrine is. If there is no Doctrine that says we're required to wear a white shirt to church, then I would venture to guess that their is also little doctrine outlining what we can and cannot wear.

For example: When I lived in salt lake city, my singles ward looked more like an artists pallet than a church congregation, shirts ranging from Neon green to pink to black. The girls had plenty to show off as well trying to keep up with the fashion of the day and many of the Elders, yes returned missionary elders showed up in a colored shirt, a tie to match and flip flops on their feet. So, where do we draw the line? and again, what is really at issue here?

IMO, singles wards kind of don't count, they serve one purpose and that is to allow young single adults to meet eachother and get married...and what happens as a result? We've got ourselves a fashion show...

Back to my point, where do we draw the line between what is appropriate for church and what is not? UtahDan made the point that we sometimes like to fancy ourselves as "a cut above" because we see Catholics or Lutherens heading to their services in jeans and we scoff at them because they're not being reverent. As i've said before, to me, it's a simple case of some of us in the church finding some way, any way to not completely conform to the prevailing standards so when we are asked we can say or have said about us, "No, he's a cool mormon."