View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

You know it's interesting where the extremes of both parties have become more dis-connected from the people who vote them in more and more all the time.

Several years ago my first cousin, A Republican, had beat out incumbent Merrill Cook in the primaries, and was running for the 2nd Congressional seat here in Salt Lake City. He was running against Jim Matheson, a Democrat.

I've mostly voted Republican/conservative in my life, but on occasion having voted for a Democrat or Independent, in short for the man whom I feel most represents my ideals.

Early on in the campaign process with my cousin I was heavily involved in the whole thing. Calling registered voters on behalf of the candidate, going door to door, attending all the debates, and helping out wherever I could. Then something interesting happened as November drew closer.

I began to see more and more of my cousin and what kind of guy he really was and in truth became very dis-enchanted with his lack of honesty and most especially, the way that he treated others. I won't go into details, but I eventually stopped supporting him and ended up voting for Matheson.

It was my first REAL inside look at the inner workings of politics and a lot of the complete garbage contained therein.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote