Old 01-29-2006, 02:13 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I also listened to a lot of New Order in high school. Technique was the first album I owned. And then I got the older stuff.
IMHO, New Order's the 80's synth-dance band whose 80's music as aged most gracefully. What I'm saying is, their best 80's songs don't sound all that corny to me today (whereas a lot of others do).

First album I ever got was the Thompson Twins Into the Gap. (I hear they're common-law-married sheep farmers in New Zealand now.)

o
New Order made a rather smooth transition from Joy Division after Ian Curtis hanged himself. I can't believe I had such a brain cramp and failed to mention this band. I'm listening to disc 2 of Substance as we speak.

Into the Gap is a fun Thompson Twins album. I saw them at Park West in '88 and have to say that it was one of the shows that I've enjoyed more than most.

Again, I'm not only one of the originals of the New Wave sound - graduated high school in 1982 - but I'm pretty much stuck in it. Even if mp disapproves.

Dark Side of the Moon is a great album, as is The Wall - Comfortably Numb is one of the best songs ever, IMO.

And we may as well throw in Frampton. His voice box was great - my kids think he's making his guitar talk. perhaps someday, I'll tell them how he does it.

On a side note, I taught myself to play the bass line from John Cougar Mellenkamp's "I Need a Lover" the other day. One of my prouder moments, if I must say.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote