View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
This thread is interesting, but please enlighten us.

First, who are these people?

If I remember my cursory review of Egyptology, egyptologists tend to develop theories about various dynasties, whether something occurred in upper or lower Egypt, which Pharoah was in power, despite a wealth of evidence we don't have.

I believe you can block out decades where one theorty was espoused, but as soon as just one minor discovery contradicts current theories, they jump ship for the newest theory.

It is also very difficult at times to understand what they are saying. I once started out to learn Egyptian, and now can remember anything but how the N looks. Nonetheless, it devolves into computer data and many other things with which I am not facile.

How many Egyptologists are there in the world? Does anybody know? What volume of information has each reviewed?

Archeology is a very fuzzy science.

2. What is the current theory why the people don't believe Joseph translated anything? At one time, it was because they believed that no documents extant identified the name of Abraham, but now that that has been debunked, what other theories have they employed?

3. You failed to identify with what degree of certainty that we can believe the documents later "recovered" were in fact the Chicago documents claimed to have been used by Joseph Smith.

It seems these scientists haven't disclosed all they know, or also standing on belief, which is fine by me, but I just want the level of certainty disclosed.
You just explained science in its entirety, we are working with things that we know very little about. Its like someone from 5 thousand years ago that is given a computer. He can push all of the buttons and learn what they do, but he has no idea why it works. He will suggest theories that explain what happens until it gets disproven.

We know very little about anything, sure its a lot more then we knew 200 years ago, but that doesn't make it certain. How long ago were we all sure that the atom was the smallest thing that matter breaks down to.