View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #43
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I don't completely understand the hostility towards members filing bankruptcy. Particularly when the main reasons for bankruptcy are injury or illness. I think it is an important safety net in our society. I also think as members we ought to be cautious passing judgment on those who are in dire straits.

My surmise is that this is an example of the familiar tendancy to take a correct principle (self-sufficiency) too far (judging those who rely on the aid of the collective). Like paying 15% tithing.
If it is needed I am all for it. I also know of the situations where someone hides his assets with his wife or someone else and declares bankruptcy. Talk to guys in this state in the construction business and ask them if they have ever gotten nailed by an active LDS person who still has plenty of money but left them all up a creek. They have probably gotten nailed by others too. I know of one instance of a guy who lives up in the high rent district and basically files every 10 years. He is active in the church and everyone accepts he just has some poor business luck. My butt!!!!1
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote