View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Both of you are not libertarians, not lawyers and not concerned about the processes used in administering justice. That's fine, and to you we may sound like histrionic women.

But examine the history of our civil liberties, reading up on them through the forties, fifties and sixties. These rights of process were fought long and hard to protect the innocent, not the guilty. It is simplistic, but it's true, we'd prefer a number of guilty get let off than one innocent be convicted improperly. That's the heart of the civil liberty debate, protecting innocence, and making government do its job.

If you or your loved ones ever end up on the wrong side of this debate, your perspective will change drastically.

The real world is much different that coding javascript.
Ah, the old "I'm smarter than you, so trust me" argument, combined with a slight "we just care about the innocent, don't you?" line! I love it, Arch. You even spiced it up with a swipe at my profession. Very nice.

Maybe while you're reading up on your civil liberties history you could read a few pages about fallacious logical arguments as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
calling Gitmo's detainees as "terrorists" discloses you already did the job and closed the trial..ridiculously quick!
To paraphrase a line off Cops: "All suspects are guilty! Otherwise they wouldn't be suspects, now would they!"

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote