View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #162
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Not to re-kindle this debate, but given Arch's obsession with me admitting that I'm wrong, I thought I'd share this little tidbit from an Oaks' talk (courtesy of BYUinNYC who disingenuously posted it for another reason):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallin Oaks
Before the Saints came to the Rocky Mountains, Wilford Woodruff saw in a dream that he would come west with the Saints, that a great temple would be built out of cut granite stone, and that he would attend the dedicatory services. He wisely kept that knowledge confidential—even when his file leader, Brigham Young, was speaking of building the Salt Lake Temple of adobe or brick. He revealed his dream in 1880, when a granite temple was under construction. (See Journal of Discourses, vol. 21, pp. 299-300). As we now know, it was Wilford Woodruff who had the high and holy duty, as president of the Church, of dedicating the Salt Lake Temple. I suspect this was also part of his dream, but he left it unsaid in 1880, since another was then president of the Church.

To cite a more personal example, many of us have had the experience of having the spirit whisper what we would be called to a particular position. Quite a few of the stake presidents I have installed, and some of their wives, have had that foreknowledge. Did they tell me in the initial interview? Obviously not. To share that knowledge out of season would be seen of men as aspiring and could be seen of God as trifling with sacred things.
Although more elegantly phrased than mine, I believe this is exactly what I said about God revealing things outside of a person's stewardship.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/oakslying.shtml

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote