View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
netflix benefited fro having some very favorable media rights deals, which are expired/expiring. And now those media companies want their piece of the pie, so that's putting netflix in a difficult space. Can they actually get the financial models to work?

Seems like Netflix is currently in the best place to do so. If they can't do it, someone else will. For example Amazon prime.
I've used Amazon digital streaming in my classes before. For example, I wanted to show a portion of The Talented Mr. Ripley to illustrate a philosophical point, and it cost $2.99 for it to stream in HD, which I thought was affordable.

It's still to be discovered if a monthly fee, pay-per-view, or fee-for-download model will become the ultimate game. It'll be interesting to see if the monthly fee catches on with an option-to-buy right for a nominal charge. I could see the number of times any one show/film can be viewed in a streaming model becoming the norm, with the purchase option encouraged.

I just don't know how to view the stock because there's no consolidation phase really because of the small number of real players in the market. I bought the stock years ago at about $10 a share because I really liked the company and the service it provided, and then I sold it all at about $20 a share. This was before there was any streaming on the Netflix site. Now, the game has changed too much for me to enter with my investing dollars, pitiful as they are, because I just don't know enough.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote