View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am not a fan of gratuitous violence, but I think a battle as significant and important as the taking of Omaha Beach should be shown in its full, awful reality. That movie should not be edited.
1. I have no issue with it in the movie. I just choose to not watch it.
2. I am not of the opinion that the movie portrays the full awful reality. You arent going to get your head blown off watching that movie. You go home at the end of the movie and probably eat popcorn during it. You put it on pause to answer the phone. you seem to imply that this movie portrays the "full" reality of war, when in reality, no movie comes close.

As an aside, my grandfather was amongst a goup of troops that made it to the concentration camps at Bergen Belsen. His stories were fascinating (he has since passed on). But he rarely talked about it because it was so scarring and basically traumatized him for life. I am really grateful for what info he did share with us as kids, esp now that he is gone.

To say that I get, or even come close to grasping the "full awful reality" ofWW2, or any individual battle therein, because I have seen some graphic movies is almost comical. Movies tell stories. By definition, they require a suspension of disbelief to even watch them. but since the viewer is never really in any danger, how can it be close to reality? I would imagine that most of the trauma experienced by soldiers is the result of mental suffering, something that a movie goer cannot grasp.

maybe I am missing the point, though.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote