View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A guy in my ward briefly played for BYU before getting injured. I asked him why BYU sucks now, versus the distant past when they were pretty good. He says there is just too much incentive to go pro.

But why would this disproportionately affect BYU, more than other schools?

I remember when BYU came to play A&M on year. I watched the game. BYU's ace just got tagged hardcore. I was sitting near one the scouts who had the radar gun. He said "must be a cold-weather pitcher."

Heck, back in the day I even watched BYU baseball on ESPN.
I would think that BYU should be more competitive with its unique demographic in baseball. The good players could play as freshman and then another year as sophmores and then go pro. Law has landed a few studs like this, Dave Jenson from Vegas and a kid named McNaughton who is on a mission right now. However, his reliance on JC kids never seems to make BYU real good. I don't think Law is a very good college HC. He is not bad, but not real good and I doubt it is important enough to BYU to do too much about it.

BYU baseball in the 70's and 80's was good, but not real good. I never remember them even being able to compete at the sub-regional if they won the WAC, which they usually didn't.

'83 was an anomaly and in true fashion they choked in the postseason.

Gary Cooper had a freaking gorgeous wife. I saw her at a Tucson Toro game and I doubt her clothes were acceptable for a librarian or a coed at the BYU.