View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

With the way the major league draft is set up, it almost benefits you more to go to a JC. You can go to a JC for two years and then be drafted right out of a JC, where if you decide to go to a divisiion I school you have to wait until you are a junior to be drafted. I think this has hurt BYU.

Also BYU had Aaron Jensen a true pro prospect out of springville signed a few years ago and he told the pros that if he was not drafted in the first three rounds he was going to college, well he was drafted in like the 15th round, but was promised first round money so he decided to forego college.

All of the truly great players end up going pro right out of highschool. One of the other problems BYU has is that they havent been able to establish a real strong relationship with some of the best schools in the Valley, Spanish Fork is a baseball powerhouse and everyone knows it, yet very rarely do their kids end up at BYU. The only kid from last years team was their 5th starter that most people didnt think was worthy of a division I schollie.

Finally i think missions hurt BYU baseball more than any other sport. If commit to BYU, play for a season then go on a mission for 2 years, that puts you at 21-22 years old, this means you have to play another 2 years so you are 24 when you are eligible to be drafted. 24 is old for a first year minor leaguer especially considering most guys need 3 or 4 years of development, you are looking at a 28-29 year old rookie.

Thats why a lot of these kids eventhough they were not drafted very high, take the jump to the majors and if they flame out then they go on missions.