View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I would think that BYU should be more competitive with its unique demographic in baseball. The good players could play as freshman and then another year as sophmores and then go pro. Law has landed a few studs like this, Dave Jenson from Vegas and a kid named McNaughton who is on a mission right now. However, his reliance on JC kids never seems to make BYU real good. I don't think Law is a very good college HC. He is not bad, but not real good and I doubt it is important enough to BYU to do too much about it.

BYU baseball in the 70's and 80's was good, but not real good. I never remember them even being able to compete at the sub-regional if they won the WAC, which they usually didn't.

'83 was an anomaly and in true fashion they choked in the postseason.

Gary Cooper had a freaking gorgeous wife. I saw her at a Tucson Toro game and I doubt her clothes were acceptable for a librarian or a coed at the BYU.
Dave Jensen was a stud. He's a friend and he's done with pro ball. He lives and works in Salt Lake City now.

Mike Tejada was another good friend of mine who played a year despite being drafted out of HS and went on a mission, played another year and then left. Mike too is done with pro ball and is back in Hawaii living and working.

Talking to both of them, the incentive to turn pro is extremely high. I believe Mike was taken by the Expos out of HS and even at his position in the draft the money offered him was more than tempting. Mind you this was 10-11 years ago where those sums have grown even larger. Upon coming home from their missions, the opportunity was just too great to pass up.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote