View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a few observations which may or may not be useful. I had some friends whom I invited to Church, who began reading the BoM and were interested. However, the interest waned over time.

I asked why. One was a lack of time for the investment required. Another criticism was a good and honest one. Even though we have lay persons, our sacrament meetings are downers and poorly constructed.

We have people using cookbook talks without insight. Here is what I mean. The typical talk is somebody reading some GC talks and some scriptures. I have recounted now numerous sacrament meetings where the speakers fail to tell any personal stories highlighting the principle being presented. It's Elder X said this. Alma Y says this.

Not, I was wondering how I could help my son feel the spirit so that he could look to God. So we were working in the yard and I felt inspired to stop and to ......

We seem to be a busy people, filled with facts and numbers, but no inspiration. We've lost the charisma, inherent with faults and instability, which informs the heart and propels us to action. Our sacrament meetings are often dead. Yes I can feel the Spirit but the Church feels like a walking zombie, uninspired and lacking passion.

And another issue are our hymns. They are such downers. No upbeat happy, healthy hymns of praise and glorious joy. The pace of the hymns is downtrodden. Yes we're suffering horrible economic times. I get that.

We need some talks about how to give talks and how to share the inspiring experiences so others can have them. We need a GA or two to step it up and say.

This Church is still inspired, and I have seen God, he still lives. We are His People and we invite all to come to Christ.

Instead we're becoming so ecumenical, we are indistinguishable and unrecognizable to our forefathers.