View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
How does one 'procure' a wild/feral pig carcass?

I have participated in doing this before. Big hole, big fire on big rocks, lots of Ti leaves and leave it for a day or so. It is really good.
That's it. We usually wrapped it in chicken wire to keep it from falling apart though too when doing a full pig. It's quite a bit of work.

Dig a bit the size of your pig, usually a couple feet deep. Build a large fire with hardwood according to your taste, think smoking, inside the pit. You want porous rocks, like lava rock. Line the entire pit with these rocks. You'll want ti leaves or banana leaves to line the entire pit once the rocks are nice and hot. Then a second layer of ti leaves as this will be what touches the pig. Remember green leaves. It's the steam from the moisture in the green leaves that will help cook and flavor the meat. Then set the pig. More ti leaves. Then usually a tapa cloth covers the rest. Make sure it covers the pit entirely because the dirt excavated from the pit goes on next.

You want to remove all the hair from the pig before hand and gut it of course. We'd usually hang em and let all the blood out too before hand. Then a nice rock salt rub over the skin and the inside. Also some of the hot rocks from the pit are placed in the gut to help cook it from the inside out too.

Steaming time varies, but usually most of the day, 8 hours or so. In Hawaii we'd eat the whole time and party while the imu is going.

To be honest with a wild pig I would probably smoke it instead. They usually have a nice gamier taste that smoking compliments well, probably better than cooking it in an imu.

Good luck.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote