View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
NPR posted their story on his passing on their FB page. The comments were predictably very negative.

The article focused somewhat on his absence from public view during recent controversies.

There has been some fissuring (is that a word?) in the church during his presidency. To what extent, it's hard for me to say. I have noted that many people from my last ward have left the church over these issues. A lot more than I would have expected. People my age or younger. It's a crisis of conscience among these folks where they decided they could no longer stomach the values of the church.

I guess I find that the most frustrating thing about these past years. The times where the actions of the church don't seem to neatly fit with what I have felt are the values of the church. For example, prohibition of baptism of children with gay parents.
Nelson is 93, so I don't know if it's true that we have left that age or not.

But the odd thing is that the LDS Church is never at the forefront of any social issue, always lagging behind. We can start with blacks and the priesthood, and go straight to women and gays.

The Mormon Moment died when the LDS Church backed Proposition 8 in California. Ever since that moment, the LDS Church's public position has been in decline.

Just think what would have happened had some grand revelation been had and the LDS Church had backed gay marriage. Missed opportunities.