View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I want to get a PhD in neuroscience, and I'm already 31 (33 when I apply). I wasn't a science major in college, and now I'm doing all the prereqs at a local JC: Bio, Chem, Physics, OChem, Biochem, Psych. Would schools look unfavorably on that?

I'm halfway through MS in applied & computational math at a part-time program, funded by the agency I work for. I was originally gearing up for a PhD in economics, but I figured I'd study poverty and brain development instead. Is that more psych than neuro?

In college my GRE quant was 720 and verbal 530, analytical a perfect 6. Since econ programs don't care about your verbal, I didn't really study for it.

So I'm old and my science background isn't as solid, but I figured my quantitative skills would compensate.

Any help is appreciated.
I don't think there's any issue with your age as long as you're okay with not having any significant income until you're 40+. Something also to remember is that academic positions are extremely competitive and that even really smart, talented people aren't able to get a good position. The ability to attract external funding is huge. Counting on academia is a gamble.

I think that Mike's idea to look into public health or other health-related degrees would be worth checking out as well.

Good luck!
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote