View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, Tex, it is hard for some people to reconcile the concept of "true church" with "church that deals frequently in obfuscation, omissions, and untruths about its history."

This is difficult for some people to reconcile. I don't know that it is useful or correct to call them "weak".
I really don't want to get into yet another debate on how the church has handled its history. You clearly have your opinion and I have mine.

I see a testimony as something that transcends all that. If a person actually believes God spoke to their heart via the Spirit about the truth of the gospel, it should "innoculate" them against untidy parts of church history. But for some, it doesn't. Even Oliver Cowdery who had a specific relevation given to him reminding him of that moment, still couldn't keep his grasp on it.

The Savior also spoke multiple times of this struggle: wise men build on a rock, the parable of the sower.

Understand, this is not a criticism of your friend. We all stand at different spots on the testimony continuum. But I don't think it's the church's fault for his failure to cling to what he once thought was true.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote