View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't understand why you tend to vote Republican. The greatest increases in the national debt have all come during Republican administrations (and with W, with a Republican House and Senate as well). When Bush came to office, the national debt was approximately $5.5 trillion. It now stands at over $9 trillion. A $4 trillion dollar increase in his presidency when it tooks us our entire nation's history to get to $5.5 trillion.

And how did we get to $5.5 trillion? At the end of Carter's presidency, it was at about $890 billion. At the end of Bush I? Approximately $4.5 trillion. Under Clinton, it went up about $1 trillion (still not a small number, but much smaller than the others in comparison).

As the debt increases, the amount of taxes we require to service that debt increases. We also now have about 50% of that debt held by foreigners- an unsettling thought that raises many national security concerns.

Sure- people can blame Democrats for taxing and spending. But history demonstrates that the biggest spenders (leading to the highest taxing) are Republicans.
Democrats hate the rich. I am not rich, but I don't hate them. And I believe Reps are more economy friendly.

In a perfect world, we would have low taxation, low regulation, libertarian representatives who didn't pass many lawas. We would also provide a very low level of services at low cost to the taxpayer, avoiding expansionist tendencies unless the spoils of war could be returned to the general populace. Neither party fits the bill, but the class warfare of the Dems is the most offensive. And my political coming of age was during the sixties, when Dems were the tax and spend ones, they controlled Congress by large margins and the White House. Top marginal tax rates were in the seventies, but we did have a few good loopholes.