View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #47
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
Oh yeah, sorry about that.

I don't really know the answer to your question. My initial reaction was that they wanted us to support the measure. The language, after closer scrutiny, is very craftily worded, however. I suppose there could be several reasons for this:

1. The church did not want to say "support this amendment" for fear that the language of this amendment could change and become something the church would not support (but they would be on record asking for support).

2. They want civic involvement, one way or another, and feel that most Mormons, when asked, would favor the amendment anyways, resulting in a response along the lines of what they wanted without actually saying the words.

3. Not specifically asking for support was merely an oversight (doubtful, since I am sure this letter was vetted at many levels). OTOH, the extensive vetting could have led to several drafts by several people, resulting in odd language at the end.

4. The church is concerned about its tax status, and wants to be able to say later that they weren't asking for specific action on this issue (which would be duplicitous if you assume they actually do want specific action on this issue). I find this to be unlikely.

In short, I don't have a clue.
Even though I am sure we lost the interest of everyone else a long time ago, at least some good has come from this: I got promoted to being a member!

Take that, loser junior members!!!

Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote