View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's not the ice floating in the water that you worry about. It's the massive chunk of ice it is attached to that is below water that you can't see.

Opinion leaders who know very little about Mormon doctrine are going to be exposed to little known facts about Mormonism.

It's sort of like Mormonism in the black community. Many blacks will tell you that they have heard that Mormonism isn't friendly to blacks, but they can't tell you exactly why, or what led to that.

Right now we have a situation where it is actually non general authorities who are informing members about the truth regarding these events, with not that much cooperation from general authorities. For example the Kimball biography with some of the juicier elements cut out and only on the CD. Now we know the history of the lifting of the ban was very much more complicated than simply a prayer in the temple.

Transparency cures many ills.
Transparency cures some ills, not many. The masses are followers, not leaders. Give them too much information and they get confused and short circuit. Cover ups are human nature and contrary to some beliefs, the church is run by humans who get occasional directives from the almighty.

You and I would both want to convince the masses those directives come often and regularly or you would lose them. My personal belief is God realizes it and is OK with it. I doubt that Moses gave the Israelites much information as to why they were wandering 40 years.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote