View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #25
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Both sets of my grandparents were dyed in the wool blue-collar democrats. But yet, they were deeply conservative in their worldview. The shift towards Republicans was gradual, but started back in the 60's and was in response the the huge leftward shift of the Democrat party in the 60's. It was just no longer the party of FDR, and they became Nixon and Reagan supporters in their later years.
It is really simple to blame it all on ETB. The change in values society wide that happened in the sixties pushed many mormons towards being more conservative. I think it genuinely unfair to link it to ETB's opinions on civil rights more than LDS morality with respect to such political polarizing issues such as abortion. I also maintain that it is also partially economical in how Utah was once pretty split politically but those industries that supported Democrats are no longer prevalent in Utah.