View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Pullman? RC, do you follow the Trojans at all? Why does he need to go to Pullman to prove himself. He came to SC, where we STUNK for 20 years. With the exception of the Keyshawn Rose Bowl, SC was down and had not contended since they split with Alabama in 1978. We lost 13 straight to ND and 8 straight to freaking FUCLA. Do you think he inherited a program on top of its game? If you recall college football, the 90s were the decade of FUCLA in the Pac 10, including a terrible Cade McNown regime that kicked our tails all 4 years.

PC showed up and turned things around in 2 seasons, and that includes recruiting and coaching. By his 3rd year, SC was back and under his regime, he has made SC the most successful program in the country over the past 6 years.

You think this is all recruiting and not Xs and Os? Texas, for example, usually has Top 5 or so recruiting classes. Yet the win a ring once every 30 years. See also Florida, Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan, etc....usually top 10 in recruiting, but not much dominance lately. The AP actually ranked SC as the 7th best recruiting class for the 2007 season. You know who was ranked 6th? FUCLA. They had a nice 2007 season...

Using your logic, Wooden wasnt a great coach, just a great recruiter. Can you name a time during the 88 game win streak that they were underdogs and won? No. When were they underdogs during his 10 titles? never. Too bad he is too old to go to Pullman, where the real coaches prove themselves....
Suckiness is relative.

I think what he's saying is that USC in a bad stretch, no matter how long, will still get better athletes than Washington State at their best.

It's a lot like when Charles Barkley commented on Phil Jackson taking the Lakers job (with Shaq and Kobe) by saying something like "I'd like to see him work his Zen magic in Memphis."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote