View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Called my home insurance agent to discuss possible exclusions on firearms.

Many home owners policies in the USA only cover firearms up to 2,000 or 2,500 minus the deductible. If you own a couple of hunting rifles with scopes, a shotgun for duck hunting, and a handgun, you can easily be above that limit.

Say you own $5,000 worth, and you are covered to $2000, and you have a $1500 deductible. Your guns are gone and you get a check for $500. Ouch.

But wait, you say, I own a safe! I paid $1000 for it. If the thieves break in, they won't have time to open it, because I also have an alarm system. Ok.

If you decide you want/need more insurance, you can get a rider attached to your home owner's policy usually. Or you can take out insurance with a third party. One that I have heard recommended is this one:
http://www.collectinsure.com/ There certainly are others, including one that has an association with the NRA. NRA membership comes with $1000 of insurance, but I don't know the details.

Having said all this about insurance, a safe is critical in my opinion. If nothing else, it should keep the kids away from the long guns.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 03-10-2009 at 08:32 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote