View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, there is priestcraft going on. "I'm a priesthood leader therefore my administrative decisions are not to be questioned." Bateman was a master of this.

It's their right to have this attitude. It's my right to say that I don't like it and won't support it.

I'm confident that my view will eventually prevail. But probably 100 years later than it should.
What's interesting is that if you research the history of the honor code, you will learn that it was originally proposed by a group of students back in the 50's (brown-nosers, no doubt). They went on a campaign to promote it and got lots of students across campus to sign it. It eventually got adopted university-wide and has evolved over the years.

So if a group of students got it started, why is there an attitude among some that it cannot be questioned by students?

Personally, I think the honor/dress code is a relic of the 50's. Teach correct principles and let the students conduct their lives in private like every other member of the church. Righteous living should be organic and done for the right reasons, not so that one can avoid getting booted out of school.