View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't know if I am right or not. It's merely my sense--I may be paraphrasing rumors I have heard.

If the faculty were really good, you would see the research dollars flowing in. Just a guess, but there is probably more research money coming in now than ever before. But it would probably be a pittance compared to the Univ. of Utah, which in turn would be a pittance compared to the Univ. of Texas.

I can't really speak to the liberal arts, but I assume the same exists.

There are plenty of talented LDS academics in the country, that if the very best all went to BYU, it would be a very strong research institution I would suspect. But it's not just a collection of people that you need. It's institutional will and support.

Plus there are plenty that just don't like BYU and would never be willing to work in a place that requires temple recommends and Bishop's interviews and all that. I don't like to conflate my church with my work. Priestcraft.
I agree with that premise. It seems administration can be a bit over-bearing at times.

Statman's relative's story which he has re-told often, about his Asian history uncle, who wrote something on religion which and was requested by the GA to have the Religion Department look at it, reminds me that administration can do silly things.