View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The BYU identity

In spending some time browsing the A&M board, I have come to appreciate the fact that for A&M grads, there really is an unwritten code of conduct and ethics that they expect all "true" Aggies to uphold.

It's a much more pronounced identity than BYU grads have, in terms of this unwritten code. And I'm trying to understand why.

Two thoughts: BYU grads have two official arbiters of codes. 1) the church, and 2) the BYU honor code. Neither of which they have any input in.

Whereas for A&M fans, this unwritten code is something that must be constantly addressed and hashed out from one generation to the next. I.e. it is a constant source of discussion and teaching, whereas the BYU situation is one of "obey the commandments."

Looking at it another way, A&M fans and grads feel like they own A&M, whereas BYU grads and fans have no such feeling. It is very clear who owns BYU, and it is very clear who makes decisions, and it is very clear that there is no desire to understand its graduates.

Lack of vision at BYU among the Board of Trustees and Presidents has really hurt it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote